America’s Got Talent: Audition One
Me and my audition number/outfit after getting out of the Convention Centre! We were only in there for four hours!
My car!makeup I did yesterday
Did America’s Got Talent Auditions yesterday. I was only there for four hours! My and my mom thought it’d be around seven at least. I did really well, the judge knew the song. I met some amazing people (one who flew in from Salt Lake!) and ended up sitting next to one of those people you always see in the show (“Did I do good? The judges thought I’d go further. You think I’m gonna go further, right?”). She ended up not being that great, but she may have been missing a marble, as my mom put it. I got some amazing compliments yesterday (“soulful” and “angelic”). All in all, if I don’t make it, I don’t. I’ll know by March, though. Thanks to everyone who wished me luck and has been supporting me all this time.
Friday (Day Before Audition)
- 3 pm — Get home from school, decide AGT may be worth a shot
- 4 pm - 6 pm — Practice “Dog Days Are Over” a bajillion times
- 6pm - 8 pm — Spend two hours printing/filling out all the paperwork
- 8pm - 12 am — Practice a little more (quietly!) and dick around on the computer
- Saturday (Day of Audition)
- 12 am midnight — Set four different alarms for six am, just in case I decide to go
- 1.30 am — Go to sleep
- 6.10 am — Promptly turn off all alarms and think about whether or not I really want to go today and if it’s worth dragging my butt out of bed/standing in line
- 9.30 am — Wake up for the second time and lay in bed for thirty minutes
- 10 am — Get up and start getting ready, deciding it’s worth a shot
- 10.30 am — See the news at the audition site (Tacoma Convention Centre) and see a wicked pizza tosser guy. Promptly freak out over the fact I have no top to wear due to no logos. Mom helps me
- 10.45 am — Become excited now that I had a wearable outfit (see picture one)
- 11 am — Leave my house, 1 hr 45 min to Tacoma
- 11.30 am — Stop at Centralia/Chehalis WA to get tissues/gas/bathroom
- 12.30 pm — Initiate nervousness, due to the city traffic (LIVING IN A SMALL TOWN MADE ME SHELTERED, SORT OF.) Stop at a KFC and eat. Begin feeling magnificently less nervous knowing I’ll just have a chance
- 1 pm — Arrive at the Tacoma Convention Centre without going down any one-way streets, but taking a really long way! Lots of off roads and stuff, especially when it was so easy to get home
- 1.30 pm — Park and finish registration, which involved a very nice man from Chicago who said at the end of our process “Welcome to America’s Got Talent!”. One of the highlights of my day. The entire staff had been there since 5.30 am and were all mostly cheerful
- 1.30 pm - 4 pm — Wait in the holding room and meet a very nice girl named Britney who came from Salt Lake, Utah to audition
- 4 pm — See Britney return and she gets her stuff that we were watching. Britney heads off to the airport (hopefully I’ll see her again! she was so kind). I am called for audition.
- 4.20 pm — Head up a floor with a staff and wait to go into the room with an engineer and a producer. The group before us comes out crying. GREAT. D8
- 4.45 pm — I am the third in our group to audition. I’ll explain more about it in a bit.
- 5 pm — Get out of the Con Centre. Mom nearly wipes out walking back to parking and we go home
- 6.30 pm — Stop for dinner, again in Centralia/Chehalis. Feel good!
- 7 pm — Get home, promptly fall asleep (not long enough to bring in the guitar)
- 2 am (Sunday) — Get up and begin writing this
Overall, it was an awesome experience! There were only a few things that I thought were odd. Expect rants.
THERE WASN’T A PLACE TO WARM UP. In the holding room, we were asked to be quiet for the film crew. (Me and Britney later found a hallway blocked off with a curtain that we used that involved my voice echoing into the bathroom and moving further away from said bathroom)
Now, the shots you see of people in the holding room? That’s not the same place as the huge stage with Sharon, Pierrs, and Howie. That’s the next step. So, they were filming people screaming “SEATTLE’S GOT TALENT” and their crowd shots here? Why? Because there’s more people. Once they eliminate a bunch, it won’t be impressive. Which I admit is clever.
I understand that the film crew needs their shot. This is a reality/entertainment show, once you boil it down. But we had to go to somewhere else to warm up. The film crew were all a bit rude, but I suppose that’s their job. They automatically went for the teenager girl group dressed the sluttiest to get the shot. Expected, but a bit annoying on my part.
So, that was the only thing I felt a bit odd. It was all a bit surreal, although it felt more like reality when it was over.
If I make it, I’ll find out before March. March 2nd and 3rd are when the next round is (I have no transportation the 2nd, so it’ll hafta be the 3rd for me, assuming I get through!). THAT’S A WEEK! <3 Wish me luck, guys.